Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Xin Phong
AP Literature

Pick a theory, any theory

Well I guess if you’re going to have to ask me to pick a theory, I’d have to go with theory two because it says in theory two that what matters is what the students actually learn. This is because I feel that nowadays, most people I encounter are worried about getting into the top colleges, not because they’ll best accommodate the student’s individual growth, but because of its credentials. I witness too many people, people close to me, who sacrifice hours and hours of their time doing things like extracurriculars, volunteering, etc. just to put a little spice to their college resumes. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing. It’s great volunteering to help the homeless and it’s great joining school clubs and all that, but what’s your motive behind it? What happened to genuinely doing something because you are passionate about it? Kudos to those who still manage to do that nowadays. It’s sometimes difficult to focus on what you’re most passionate about when you have UC recommended courses to fullfill, and a bunch of graduation requirement courses to endure, and that’s not even everything. So theory 2 says what matters is what students learn. That should be what education is for people. Something you benefit intellectually from. Not some piece of paper you acquire as a ticket to whatever dream job you want.


There are so many things in this piece of text that I just wrote that you can pick out and argue against because I feel like I couldn’t elaborate on it well enough and not exceed one page. *cringe*

No comments:

Post a Comment